Can we trust our own Government to look after our interests? In short the answer is NO and that this corrupt Labor, suck-hole to the US, Government needs to go:
AUSTRALIAN diplomats have no doubt the United States is intent on pursuing Julian Assange, Foreign Affairs and Trade
Department documents obtained by the Herald show.
This is at odds with comments by the Foreign Affairs Minister, Bob Carr, who has dismissed suggestions the US plans to eventually extradite Assange on charges arising from WikiLeaks obtaining leaked US military and diplomatic documents.
The Australian embassy in Washington has been tracking a US espionage investigation targeting the WikiLeaks publisher for more than 18 months.
The declassified diplomatic cables, released under freedom of information legislation, show Australia’s ambassador, the former Labor leader Kim Beazley, has made high level representations to the US government asking for advance warning of any moves to prosecute Assange.
Briefings for the Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, and Senator Carr also suggest the Australian government has no in-principle objection to extradition.
On Thursday, Ecuador granted Assange political asylum at its London embassy on the grounds that, if extradited to Sweden to be questioned about sexual assault allegations, he would be at risk of further extradition to the US to face espionage or conspiracy charges.
Assange sought refuge at the embassy two months ago following the dismissal of his final legal appeal against extradition to Sweden.
Read more: US intends to chase Assange, cables show (Sydney Morning Herald)
- Ecuador gives Assange asylum, but for Australia ‘nothing has changed’ – CNN International (edition.cnn.com)
- PM not talking on Assange reports (news.smh.com.au)
- Ecuador may turn to ICC over Assange (english.ruvr.ru)
- What the Julian Assange Case Says About Australia (benpeek.livejournal.com)
- Britain and Equador in stand-off over Assange (radionz.co.nz)
- Australia quiet on Assange (edition.cnn.com)
- PM not talking on Assange reports (news.theage.com.au)
- Aust faces more calls to help Assange (bigpondnews.com)
- US in pursuit of Assange, cables reveal (smh.com.au)